Historic Chiltern North East Victoria Australia

Historic Buildings and Places

Lakeview House
Lakeview House ChilternVictoria Street, Chiltern
Tel 03 5726 1611

This National Trust building is the beautifully restored childhood home of the authoress, Henry Handel Richardson, pseudonym for Ethel Florence Richardson. Among her works are The Getting of Wisdom and a trilogy The Fortunes of Richard Mahony in which in Ultima Thule she describes her experiences in Chiltern. The charming red-brick single storey house is furnished in period style and contains a small collection of Richardson memorabilia.

Cost Adults $3; Children $1; Concessions $2.20; Family $6
Group Bookings  (Group rates available) Available via the Chiltern Information Centre 03 5726 1611
Open Thursday and Saturday 10am-4pm

Web www.nationaltrust.org.au/vic


Dows Pharmacy
Conness Street, Chiltern
Tel 03 5726 1594

Dow's Pharmacy : National Trust BuildingBuilt in 1859 this National Trust building houses all original fittings and a vast array of pharmaceutical equipment and commercial products from days gone. The pharmacy was operated by David McEwen, father of former Prime Minister of Australia John McEwen. It was purchased by Mr and Mrs Dow in 1936 who operated it until its closure in 1968. Dows Pharmacy is owned by the National Trust.

Cost $3 adult $1 child, $6 family. National Trust members free.
Open Seven days a week, 10am-3pm. (Except Christmas, Boxing Day and Good Friday.)

Web www.nationaltrust.org.au/vic

The Federal Standard
Main Street, Chiltern
Tel Chiltern Visitor Information Centre on 03 5726 1611 or Merv and Barb Death on 02 6025 1103.

The Federal Standard : ChilternThis National Trust Building is one of only a few remaining provincial newspaper offices from the gold mining era. It houses printing equipment dating from the 1870s to the 1920s. This building was erected in 1861and by 1862 the office produced the Federal Standard, Border Post (Albury) and Ovens Tribune (Beechworth). The last publication was in 1970.

The building was restored and officially opened on 22 March 1981.  Fully established old time printing shop, including 107-year-old Linotype and 167-year-old Wharfdale flatbed printing press. Both are operational and printing on the Sundays only.

Cost Gold coin donation
Open Second weekend of every month 10am-3pm.

Web www.nationaltrust.org.au/vic

The Athenaeum Museum
57 Conness Street, Chiltern.
Tel 03 5726 1280

The Athenaeum MuseumLocal history museum featuring a vast array of exhibits, research services and guided tours. Highlights include memorabilia relating to Sir John (Black Jack) McEwen, whose father operated the local pharmacy from 1891 to 1907, the First World War photographic collection, artworks by Alfred Eustace including several gumleaf paintings and photographic and outdoor displays of Chiltern’s mining and agricultural past.

Local family research is carried out by our volunteers, and township tours (including the three National Trust buildings) are conducted on request. New members most welcome.

Cost $2 adults, children free
Open 7 Days 10am-4pm,
including school and public holidays

Email info@chilternathenaeum.com.au

Web www.chilternathenaeum.com.au

Chiltern Court House
Chiltern Court HouseHistoric Court House building constructed in 1864 at a cost of £1641.

Open
By appointment through the
Chiltern Visitor Information Centre.

Main Street, Chiltern









Old Chiltern Police Residence and Lockup
The Police Lockup was built by the Public Works Department in 1874 and the residence two years later. It was  built using local materials including distinctive red bricks and granite quoining and a slate roof. Visit to view the historic building and hear the audio presentation of some of the stories from this old gaol. Key available from the Chiltern Visitor Information Centre or Chiltern Newsagency.

Off Crawford Street, behind Court House, Chiltern.

The Star Theatre
Main Street, Chiltern.
Tel 03 5726 1395

The Star TheatreThe Star Theatre was a hub of social life in Chiltern during the 19th century and featured all types of entertainment. With the neighbouring hotel, it survives as a rare and complete example of the extensive range of facilities provided by prosperous hotel keepers during the gold rush.

The Grapevine (formerly Star) Hotel dates back to 1859 when J A Wallace erected a hotel on this site which included a theatre, billiard room and stables. Ownership later changed to the coaching firm Crawford and Connelly and the entire complex was rebuilt by them after a fire in 1865. The present brick theatre dates to these times. It is a simple rectangular hall with a stage at the northern end.

Open For film screenings and by appointment.

The Grapevine Museum
View the famous ‘grapevine’ and admire the superb display of antique furniture and rare collections housed in this museum. The grapevine was planted in 1867 and is the largest in the southern hemisphere.

Cost $4 adults, $1 children or $2 to view the grapevine separately.
Open By appointment

Cnr Main and Conness Streets, Chiltern.
Tel 03 5726 1395

Stephen’s Motor Museum
View 50 hand-operated petrol pumps, enamel signs, oil bottle racks, oil engines and other garage memorabilia dating pre-1920.
Host Gordon Stephens

Cost $5.00 adults, children free.
Open7 days a week.

545 Chiltern – Barnawartha Road, Barnawartha.
Tel 02 6026 7382

St Paul’s Church of England
Erected in 1870-1875, the design was adapted from a church in Ireland.

Albert Road, Chiltern.

St Andrew’s Uniting Church
Erected in 1871-1875 for the Presbyterian Church.

High Street, Chiltern.

St Mary’s Catholic Church
North Road, Chiltern.

Indigo Pioneer Cemetery
The first of approximately 70 people to be buried in the cemetery was Joseph Turner who died on 6 November 1858. The cemetery was closed in 1860 after it was found to be too difficult to dig graves in the extremely hard soil.

Riley’s Road, Chiltern.

Old Chiltern Cemetery
Approximately 1200 burials took place until 1881 when the new cemetery opened. There were some burials until 1940 even though the ground was wet and soggy, which made it unsuitable for burials.

Cnr of Wenkes Road and Hume Freeway.

New Chiltern Cemetery
Opened in 1881 in still operating today. Approximately 2000 burials have taken place within its grounds.

North Road, Chiltern.

Chiltern Historic Drive
Start along the Chiltern-Rutherglen Road and turn into Donchi Hill Road where you will find the information box and a brochure on the drive. The park is easily accessed from the town and is marked through the forest and goldfields. There is a network of all weather gravel roads once in the park. It takes 1.5 hours for the round trip so be sure to take a picnic lunch for a stop at one of our beautiful picnic and BBQ areas.